Food imperative of the day: Restaurants. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE liberally salt your goddamn fries, or at least give me a large cup of aioli to dip that flavorless shit in. Also, you don’t need to say ‘garlic’ aioli. It’s expected.
1:03 pm • 18 July 2014 • 1 note
I was crouched under some shrubs in the corner of a dark yard when it began to rain. I hadn’t seen the weather coming, and I was irrevocably wet before I could get to my rain jacket. Later I was scrubbing dirt from the wooden planks of a twenty-first floor balcony near Rittenhouse Square. The wind…
6:37 pm • 6 June 2014 • 3 notes
Of Eating Disorders and Food Blogs
Today, I’d like to discuss eating disorders. Yup, you heard me. True, this is a topic whic…
A topic fairly close to home.
In other links:
2:07 am • 1 June 2014 • 1 note
Hosting Memorial Day brunch. Oatmeal porridge bread. First Tartine No 3 recipe.
9:25 am • 26 May 2014 • 1 note
Rearranged the kitchen and bought some new materials. The bread bakers pantry: whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, bread flour, semolina flour, oatmeal, vital wheat gluten, and wheat germ. Oh, and protein powder.
3:25 pm • 25 May 2014
Fiddlehead ferns in the last week of the CSA. These are the creepiest looking veggies in the world. Boiled and topped with sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds.
5:13 pm • 11 May 2014
Second to last week of CSA share. Excess veggies because the person you spill with isn’t in town.
Afternoon goal: make as many frittatas as possible.
Ready set go.
12:55 pm • 3 May 2014
Popchart of the "Distinguished Drinkeries of NYC".
- Awesome interactive map from Epicurious showing you what’s in season, where you are at different times oft he year.
- A telling infographic on how long it takes the average individual to buy an average priced burger in different parts of NYC.
- The history of the name of my beloved peanut. They used to be called Goobers. Hah. Hah.
- In case you ever wondered what happens to a Peep exposed to a vacuum.
- Add Guy Fieri to your browser window. For every website.
- KickStarter has a bacon subcategory in searches.
- A brief on what it’s like to cook for athletes.
- Thug Kitchen has a new tote bag that says "Eat Like You Give a F*ck"
- A marinade in beer might reduce the cancer-causing molecules that enter the food you eat after barbecuing. Beer and BBQ? SIgn me up.
9:50 pm • 25 April 2014 • 1 note
Photo cred: The Salt @ NPR. Some great images of responses from employees after their food was stolen from the company fridge.
- Last year, my life was severely impacted by the finding of salmonella in Costco brand peanut butter. The recall and subsequent investigation made my peanut butter addiction much more costly. Even sadder, however, is the dumping of nearly 1 million jars of peanut butter by the bankrupt plant where the outbreak was traced to.
- An interesting piece describing what it feels like to eat the world’s hottest chiles.
- A really easy way to peel a bunch of garlic at any given time.
- This is what happens when the best chefs in the world throw a surprise birthday party for a good friend, also a chef.
- Serious Eats discuss things you didn’t know about Ben and Jerry’s. I’m pretty taken aback by the fact that employees get 3 free pints of ice cream. Per day.
1:23 pm • 10 April 2014 • 1 note
Flowchart for deciding between Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods - courtesy of Washington Post.
- I feel like I might know at least ONE person who’d be happy hearing that there are such things as Cupcake ATMs.
- Cool video of a plate of breakfast from cultures around the world.
- The Salt at NPR has had some good pieces lately. One, how to open a bottle of wine with just your shoe. Two, the background on why strawberry flavoring used beaver… butts.
- Finally, reasons to feel like you’ve done nothing with your life. The first is a post from TheKitchn about a teenage food blogger who struggled with his weight and bullying but turned it around, and now has a cookbook. And then, from the NYTimes (who had their Food magazine this week), a piece on Flynn McGarry, who not only has cooler hair and style than I do, he is also apparently on the path to opening a Michelin starred restaurant at 19, having interned at some of the best restaurants in the world already. Yep. I feel good about myself.
4:24 pm • 29 March 2014